Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Roman Holiday....Day 2

Day 2 we decided to make it a St. Peters/Vatican Museum day.  We got up and began our lovely walk.  We headed over across the Tiber River.
                          
Tiber River
Walked down this street that had an amazing wall of jasmine that smelled unbelievable.

Josh standing along the edge of the Tiber River

Me 

Castel Sant'Angelo

We then ended up on the street Josh used to live on, Via Crescenzio.  It's very close to the Vatican.

The door to his old apartment.

We then stopped at a little sidewalk cafe for lunch by the Vatican.  This was one of our two bad food experiences.  This lasagna looks good, but it tasted like a microwave dinner.

We then made it to the Vatican...

Dome of St. Peter's Cathedral


We saw many ancient artifacts, artwork, textiles, and sculptures.  Pretty impressive.  I had been before, but I think I was able to appreciate it all a little more than 12 years ago.  
ancient writings

Josh was able to sneak in a picture of the Sistine Chapel (well, before he got yelled at). :-)
Sistine Chapel 




A hallway in the Vatican Museum

A bust of Julius Caesar



After we left the museum, we walked around to the front of St. Peter's square and cathedral.  The line was hundreds of people long, so we gave up on getting in.  We have been through it before, so I didn't mind.
St. Peter's square and cathedral

Pic from a Seafood store

That evening we had dinner at a little place down the street from the Trevi Fountain called "That's Amore".  Great food and great service.  It was definitely our favorite place to eat while we were there.  The owner of the restaurant holds cooking classes at his house during the day.  Next time I am there, I would love to sign up for one of those!  We sat next to a woman and her little boy who were from London.  Very funny kid.  After talking to them for a while, we found out that he was 6 years old and his name was Colin!  Crazier than that, his middle name was Jack!  Our big guy's name is Collin Jackson, so it was pretty ironic running into them.  He was really into Star Wars too, so he and Josh spent the rest of the evening talking about that. :-)  Made me miss our boys, that's for sure. 

I had some sort of spaghetti dish and Josh had Spaghetti Carbonara

I wanted to get some night shots of the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon, so we stopped by there on our walk back to the apartment.....and then, of course, we ended our night with some gelato. :-)
Trevi Fountain




                                                 
Pantheon


2 comments:

Rachel said...

I want to sign up to take that cooking class with you!!! Maybe on our 20th anniversary trip...that we take together! :)

Carrie said...

I'm liking that idea Rach.... :-)