Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Roman Holiday...Day 3

Day 3 started a little late.  I guess the 7 hour time difference really caught up with me, and I ended up sleeping in until 11 am!  I haven't done that since high school!  We decided to go to the Roman Forum ruins and the Colosseum.
On our walk there, we went through the Campo de' Fiori market.  It is this really awesome flower, fruit/vegetable, pasta/grain, spice & clothing market.  Pretty much everything.  I could have spent a lot of time here.  I really wanted to just pull up a chair and sit among these flowers all day!

             
                       
Campo de' Fiori flowers

Campo de' Fiori market

We then arrived at the Roman Forum.  The scale of these ruins is unbelievable.  You can see the people walking down below and how small they look in comparison.



I had a moment of awe taking this picture and thinking, "Wow....Julius Caesar walked down this cobblestone street."  I bet it was really something to walk through here before it was all "ruins".  Pretty cool.








A beautiful little canopy area at the Forum.

Right next to the Roman Forum is the Colosseum.  Probably Rome's most famous and iconic figure.  Last time I was here I didn't take the time to go inside, so I made sure I did this time.  





I had another moment here just thinking about how iconic this place is, but yet it was the place where so many people lost their lives in the gladiator fighting.  



After our tour of the Colosseum, we headed across the street and up the hill to this little Pizzeria.  This was our view from our table.  Pretty good I think. :-)

Josh sat there while we waited and sketched our view of the Colosseum from there.  People kept stopping by and looking at his work and smiling at me with approval.  I think he could have sold them some of his sketches!


So, I guess I was so hungry I didn't even get a picture of my pizza before I scarfed it down.  I made a vow before going on this trip that I would not eat any American food while we were gone.  I stuck to that promise.  Josh, not so much.  This day, he couldn't take it anymore and ordered a burger.  I got a Margherita Pizza that was awesome.  Then for dessert I got the 'chocolate cake with chantilly creme' that was absolutely amazing!!  Doesn't it look divine??

On our way to the apartment, I snapped a pic of the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument

That night for our evening walk, we hit Piazza Navona and the Spanish Steps again.
Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona

Seriously right as I was taking this picture at the Spanish Steps I was nearly trampled by a horse drawn carriage.  Stupid tourist not paying attention.  Josh literally came to my rescue and pulled me out of the way.  Yes, it was that close.   
Spanish Steps
 We literally sat on the steps for a really long time just relaxing, soaking it all in, reminiscing about the city and still in disbelief and awe that we were there.  Truly blessed.
Just Us
 We then headed back to the apartment and on our way got some gelato (of course) and tartufi (a chocolate truffle) for dessert.  I decided to try something different and got the pomegranate gelato and it was horrible.  Got back to the apartment and Josh spent some more time sketching.  What a talented guy I have!
Some of Josh's sketches



No comments: