Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Sweet Little Patient

We had quite a scare with Collin yesterday. Sunday night was a rough night. Collin was up all hours of the night coughing like crazy. He woke up on Monday morning and was acting tired and sick all day long. Around noon we headed to Walmart so I could get him some cough medicine hoping that would help him before he went down for his nap. He woke up from his nap around 2:30 and I started to notice that he was breathing a little funny. He kept wanting me to hold him and was very lethargic. I kept thinking that it must be the cough medicine doing a number on him, so I thought I would give it a few hours to see if he changed any. By 5:30 he seemed to be getting worse so I took him into a local clinic to have him checked out. As soon as we got back to the room, they checked his oxygen level and it was dangerously low at 85. The normal is 100. They told me to get to the ER immediately because if it could be really bad if it got lower than that. With that, we sped to the ER, and I ran trying to hold him and push Carter in the stroller. They got him back to a room, put him on oxygen, shot him up with some steroids and started him on a breathing treatment. The whole ordeal scared me to death and really made me thankful for God giving me that "mother's intuition" to know that I needed to do something at that moment. After they got him stable, they took him back for chest x-rays and then did some other tests on him. We were there for several hours and finally found out that he had a respiratory virus called RSV. It normally doesn't occur in children his age (usually in children under 6 months). We were so thankful that it wasn't anything more serious than that. So thankful for the Lord's provision over Collin's life and for the staff at Northwest Medical Center for making Collin so comfortable. He was so funny with the nurses...making jokes, calling them "silly squirrel dinosaurs", etc. The steroids really did a number on him and made him super hyper.
He is doing much better today. We are still keeping him on some medication and steroids (which make him very hyper.....and funny). I can't believe this is our 2nd trip to the ER this month with him!
Thank you to Me-Ma and Mimi for driving over to the hospital and for Uncle Josh and Aunt Courtney for watching Carter for us. Love you all!

Here he is this morning about an hour after he had taken his steroids.....see, I told you he was funny. He kept sticking spoons on his nose (this was one of my huge serving spoons) and standing on one foot. Yep Collin, you're going to be JUST fine. Getting back to your crazy self! Love you sweet boy!!

No comments: