Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

With the heat of summer already upon us here in NWA, I thought I would share one of my favorite cool summer treats to help you "beat the heat".  This was shared with me by my friend, Shannon, a couple of years ago, who made this for our small group.  I make it as often as I can and it never fails to disappoint and have people running back for more!  I hope you enjoy!

Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Blueberry Mixture:
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. water
1 1/4 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Graham Cracker Mixture:
2 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. butter, melted

Ice Cream:
1 1/2 c. sugar
1-3.4 oz. package of instant cheesecake pudding mix
1 quart heavy whipping cream
2 c. milk
2 tsp vanilla

1.)  In small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Gradually stir in water until smooth.  Stir in blueberries and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
2.)  In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.  Stir in butter.  Pat into an ungreased 15" x 10" x 1" baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool completely on a wire rack.
3.)  In a large bowl, whisk the ice cream ingredients together.  Fill ice cream freezer cylinder 2/3 full and start machine.
 *I use a cuisinart ice cream maker and have found that you aren't able to use the whole amount of mixture in it because it is smaller than a typical ice cream maker
4.)  Crumble the graham cracker mixture.  In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture and blueberry sauce 3 times and swirl together.  Freeze.

ENJOY!

No comments: